The Patient Review Panel (the Panel) was established under part 9 of the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008 (ART Act). The ART Act was passed in the Victorian Parliament on 4 December 2008 and came into operation on 1 January 2010.
The functions of the Panel are to consider:
- applications for surrogacy arrangements
- whether there is a barrier to treatment if a presumption against treatment applies
- applications for posthumous use of gametes and embryos
- applications for treatment in circumstances in which a registered assisted reproductive treatment provider or clinician is concerned about the risk of abuse or neglect to a child that may be born as a result of the treatment
- applications for treatment in circumstances in which the applicant does not meet the criteria for treatment
- applications for extended storage periods of gametes or embryos or removal of embryos from storage.