The Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority (VARTA) is a statutory authority funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services. VARTA provides independent information and support for individuals, couples and health professionals on fertility and issues related to assisted reproductive treatment. This includes IVF, surrogacy and donor-conception. VARTA is responsible for:
- managing the donor conception registers and providing information and support to applicants and people affected by applications
- the registration of ART clinics and approval of import and export of donated eggs, sperm and embryos formed from donor gametes in and out of Victoria
- monitoring developments, trends and activities relating to the causes and prevention of infertility and the ART industry in Victoria, Australia and internationally.
Our work is guided by the principles set in the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008, the latest scientific and medical evidence, consultation, and is free from commercial interests.
Find out more about VARTA in the sections below.
- History: Formerly the Infertility Treatment Authority (ITA), we became VARTA in 2010.
- Functions: VARTA is responsible for administering aspects of the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008.
- Strategic focus: VARTA's strategic direction for 2014-2017.
- Board: Our board is responsible for the strategic direction and performance of VARTA.
- Staff: Our small team is made up of experts in their field and dedicated to delivering the support you need.
- Advisory panel: Our advisory panel provides specific professional expertise and guidance to inform our work.
VARTA is the lead agency in the Fertility Coalition, a group of four independent organisations running the Your Fertility program. Your Fertility is a national program to educate Australians who want children, or want more children, about some of the key factors that affect fertility.
VARTA is supported by funding from the Australian Government Department of Health and the Victorian Department of Health in delivering the Your Fertility program.