Over the next three years (2018-2020), VARTA will focus on:
- Undertaking risk-based regulatory planning to effectively use regulatory tools. Embedding learnings to enhance future processes and minimise risks and build our expertise in investigating potential legislative breaches by ART clinics.
- Increasing engagement with consumers, and build VARTA’s knowledge of behavioural insights and technology to broaden our methods of innovative and appropriate education methods, to enable more people to understand fertility, infertility and ART.
- Evaluating the impact of the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Amendment Act 2016 (Vic) -
the experiences of donor-conceived people, donors, parents and VARTA’s systems and processes,
to analyse, enhance our practices and share with others, nationally and internationally.
- Operating with sustainable human and financial resources to undertake its functions and achieve
strategic outcomes, as an innovative, responsive, capable, transparent and sustainable organisation
with a positive culture.
The Authority aims to work continuously towards regulatory best practice in administering aspects of the Act in a transparent way. In 2016, the Minister for Health issued a Ministerial Statement of Expectation to the Authority in relation to its regulatory functions. The Authority’s response highlighted its strong commitment to compliance with the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008 (Act); thus, the Authority will:
- review/revise the registration system for assisted reproductive treatment providers under the Act
- implement a risk and evidence based approach to responding to contraventions of the Act, regulations or registration under the Act
- review and update the Authority’s stakeholder management plan and risk management plan (in a proportionate way)
- identify and implement targeted measures to provide education about fertility
- work with stakeholders to effectively and sensitively carry out its obligations under the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Amendment Act 2016
- demonstrate accountability and transparency, seek feedback and apply continuous improvement.